Thinking about going camping with your family and spending a few days in touch with nature? Then, you may want to make sure you have the proper camping gear, which includes a room tent. That is why today, we’ll be sharing with you everything you need to know about some of the best three-room tent options for camping in large groups.
Camping involves preparation and specialized gear. A tent cot will provide a safe and comfortable place for you to get your rest as you enjoy your adventure in the great outdoors. In other words, if you want to make sure your camping experience is a memorable one, a room tent is an essential piece of equipment when camping in a large group.
Whether you are looking to buy your first room tent or perhaps to replace your current one, you’ll want to consider a few things before making a final choice. With many options in the market, it might sound challenging to know what would be a good choice. Keep reading and get to know some of the best three-room tents for camping in large groups.
3 Room Tent FAQs
Why do you need a three-room or multi-room tent?
You could easily purchase three small tents and be done with them. However, a three-room tent gives you the best combination of privacy and community in one.
Plus, the ceilings are usually tall, giving you ample space to walk and hang out in comfort. This makes these camping tents some of the best tents for tall people.
These large capacity top cabin tents types are often more cost-effective, too. Three room instant cabin tents are also a top choice for quick setup people want.
Is a 3 person tent big enough?
If you want space for two wide sleeping pads, you’ll usually need to bump up to a 3-person lightweight backpacking tent. The upside of going with a three-person tent is that you’ll have a much more comfortable interior space for two people. We prefer three-person backpacking tents for this very reason.
How big is a three room tent?
And as a three-room instant cabin, this tent is wide and spacious. It measures 14×14 ft with over six feet of standing height and fits two queen mattresses easily.
Can three people sleep in a two person tent?
A two-person tent will not accommodate three adults. The average adult male and female are 21.5 inches and 18.4 inches wide. Two adults together are 39.9 inches wide, leaving about 11 inches of extra width in an average two-person tent.
How do you choose a three room tent?
- Capacity: Look at the actual floor area, plus some storage area if it is available (like a porch, an awning, or a vestibule). This will tell you how much space you have per user.
- Setup time: If you are on a cross-country tour with your friends or family members, you will probably be pitching the tent every evening. So you will need something easy to set up. But if you are going to stay a longer time in the same place, then take the largest possible options, with porch or awning configurations.
- Ventilation: Look for models with vents at the ceiling and ground level for the best airflow throughout the tent.
- Removable room dividers: The most flexible tents with three rooms have multiple dividers that can be added or removed as necessary.
- A number of doors: Aim for at least two doors and preferably an entry for every tent compartment.
- Weatherproofness: Don’t waste your money on a rugged tent if all you need is a simple family tent with rooms for fair-weather car camping.
- Durability: If you need a more durable three-room shelter, make sure yours has seam-sealed, double-stitched seams and uses aluminum or steel poles instead of weaker fiberglass ones.
- Standing height: Most three-room tents are tall enough to stand inside. However, some have sloping sides, so there’s a limited area full height. If headspace is a priority or you’re camping with tall people, make sure to pick a tent with vertical walls, so there’s adequate standing height in most of the tent.
- Price: There are big differences in the prices here, so it makes sense to choose carefully.
What are the types of tents?
- Ridge/A-frame tents: Traditionally, they comprised thick canvas stretched over a horizontal pole supported by a vertical pole at each end. Their stability largely relied upon the guylines and tie-outs and how well they were placed.
- Dome: Together with tunnel tents, dome tents are one of the most common types of tents around. They are made up of two flexible poles that cross at the top of the dome and bend to be anchored to the floor on each of the four dome corners.
- Tunnel tents are great for larger groups and families as they provide lots of headroom and plenty of liveable space. They are made up of a series of flexible poles that loop from one side of the tent to the other to form a tunnel shape for the rainfly to attach to.
- Geodesic tents: The result is a geodesic tent, which is essentially a dome tent but with more poles.
- Inflatable tents. So these are without any metal pools; see the Moose 6 Tent as an example, but there are more in the list.
3 Room Tent
This multi-room cabin tent comes with two-room dividers and plenty of doors, windows, and vents.
The doors and windows are strategically spaced so you can enter or exit the tent from any room. And vents along the ground ensure airflow throughout the tent.
In addition, this tent has an electrical cord port for lights and charging, and it is set up in under two minutes.
- Alloy Steel
- 12 Person Capacity
Gear up for your next outdoor adventure with the Ozark Trail 11-Person Instant Cabin with Private Room. This tent is set up in under two minutes with the innovative instant frame design for easy and fun camping.
It features an open cabin with an extra attached back room. It also features a large front awning for protected entry and has a 76″ ceiling height for ample headroom. Use the family camping tent’s included room divider and backroom door to create three separate living spaces or keep them open for panoramic views.
It features six large windows and a mesh ceiling for comfortable ventilation. Easy to set up, this tent comfortably fits two queen airbeds or up to 11 campers (eight in the main cabin plus three in a private room) in sleeping bags on the floor.
- 11 Person Occupancy
- Alloy Steel
Family Cabin Tent Sleep up to 14 campers in this huge base camp straight wall tent. It sets up quickly with two people in 20 minutes.
It features incredible ventilation with four doors and 12 windows, plus the mesh roof. The unique sewn-in center zip room dividers convert the layout from one to two, three, or even four separate rooms with privacy.
The Ozark Trail 10 Person Family Camping Tent is an excellent choice for first-time campers, backpackers, year-round camping, family outings, group events, picnics, or music festivals.
The Ozark Trail 10 Person Family Camping Tent offers added headroom for a more comfortable experience and can sleep up to ten adult campers. The Ozark Trail 10 Person Family Camping Tent features two separate doors and two doom dividers which can be used to create three different sleeping areas.
An enclosed screen room and roll-back rainfly allow users the ability to keep cool on hot summer nights. The Ozark Trail 10 Person Family Camping Tent has a hanging media sleeve that supports most tablet sizes and a power port to run an electric cord into the tent for power needs.
- Multiple storage pockets
- Polyester, Mesh
- Screened-in porch
The Bushnell Sport Series 12 Person Tent is a capable tent all around, with features like mesh ceiling panels, a removable rain fly, a massive gear organizer, and three doors.
Ceiling height is another significant concern for taller campers or those looking to maximize space overall.
The tent also comes with two removable dividers so you can configure the space however you like.
You can easily set a camper folding table inside with so much room!