Thinking about spending a few days in touch with nature? Then, you may want to make sure your RV is in top condition, and that means having the proper RV sewer hose for mess-free tank dumping. That is why today, we’ll be sharing with you everything you need to know about some of the best RV sewer hose options available on the market.
If you consider yourself an avid RVer, then you ought to know that a quality RV sewer hose is an essential piece of equipment you should have in your rig. You certainly do not want to go through one of those dump station horror stories of your own; on what should be an exciting adventure experience.
Luckily, the RV sewer hose is inexpensive, but before making any investments, you’ll want to consider a few things. With many options in the market, it might sound challenging to know what would be a good choice, but if you want to make sure you have the right camping equipment, keep reading and get to know some of the best RV sewer hose options.
RV Sewer Hose FAQ’s
How long should my RV sewer hose be?
Most RV sewer hoses come in either 15-foot or 20-foot lengths. That’s enough to put a distance between your camper and the sewage. That said, you can always purchase a separate RV sewer hose extension (generally come in 10-foot sections) if you need additional length.
The width of the hose is also important because it will decide how much you can use the hose and how long it will last.
Are all RV sewer hoses the same?
Standard RV sewer hoses are 3 inches in diameter with lugs and fittings on opposing ends. RV sewer connections are generally universal, but adapters on hand can prepare you for any dump station scenario.
How often should you replace the RV sewer hose?
A good rule of thumb is to replace them every 36 months. If you’re a full-timer, make that 24 months. And always keep a backup in case your’s breaks or you are at a site where the in-ground sewer drain is a bit farther away than typical. We like the Valterra Dominator RV sewer hose.
Do I need an RV sewer hose support?
It would help if you had a sewer hose any time you don’t have a downward slope from your RV to the sewer connections (which is pretty much all the time). Not everything will flow into the sewer if your hose sits on the ground.
Do campers come with sewer hoses?
New sewer hose is inexpensive and comes in a variety of sizes. Full-time RVers usually carry at least two lengths of sewer hose since the distance between your unit and your dump can vary. RV parks may also want you to keep your sewer hose off the ground.
Can you hook two RV hoses together?
Yes, you can hook 2 RV hoses together. You can conjoin as many as you want to.
Choose hoses with compatible ends. Generally, any hose with the traditional bayonet fitting will connect to any other hose with the same style fitting.
How to clean an RV sewer hose?
Most RV dump stations are equipped with a freshwater spigot. Attach a hose to this spigot and use it to run fresh water through the hose to flush it out. Always dump your black water tank before dumping your gray water tanks as a rule of thumb. By doing this, you can rinse the hose with soapy gray water once the black water tank is empty.
What to know when attaching a traditional RV waste hose?
- Traditional RV sewer hoses use bayonet fittings to connect to the RV drain pipe. Attaching and detaching these bayonet fittings to a camper drain pipe can challenge those with weak hands or arthritis.
- Rotating the camper drain hose end onto (or off of) the RV sewer outlet sometimes requires a lot of torque.
- The low positioning of your sewer outlet may make the job very uncomfortable, even impossible if you are not very flexible and/or have a weak grip.
What to keep in mind when choosing an RV sewer hose?
- Thickness: The thickness of an RV sanitation hose is measured in mil’s. A mil is one-thousandth of an inch, so a pretty small number. The best RV sewer hoses are made of thicker material, which means they have better durability and are more puncture resistant.
- Storage: Where do you plan to store your RV black water hose? Some campers have bumper RV sewer hose storage. However, the opening usually is about 4×4 (inches). Consequently, this setup requires a camper waste hose with detachable ends if they are 90-degree fittings or are too large to fit inside the 4″ bumper. Lastly, if you are storing it in your motorhome’s ‘basement,’ you may not be as limited when it comes to storage space.
- Cost: Think about it. This is a category you DON’T want to skimp on. Of course, the cheaper the RV waste water hose, the cheaper the components and build quality. The average price range for a decent camper sewer hose is between $40 and $150.
- Waste Tank Outlet Size: Most of today’s RVs have a standardized RV sewer pipe size. However, if you have an older rig, ensure that your outlet size is the same standard size that most are sold in.
- Hose Length: How long is your RV? The longer it is, the longer your RV black tank hose should be. It would help if you had enough hose length to reach it no matter the dump situation. The most extended RV sewer hose length is typically 15 feet, but you can permanently attach multiple sections to increase overall hose length.
- Accessories: When considering what sewer hose to purchase, look closely at what comes with a special hose. Does it have all the necessary RV sewer hose fittings that you need for your particular camper, or do you need to purchase additional items to properly connect to your rig and/or the dump station?
RV Sewer Hose
Valterra Viper 20-Foot RV Sewer Hose Kit
The hose kit includes two collapsible 10-foot hoses with rotating fittings, a 90-degree universal sewer adapter, and four drip caps.
Hose collapses from 10 feet to 50 inches for convenient storage. The pre-installed rotating fittings with bayonet hooks ensure a leak-proof system and keep the hose flat.
90-degree sewer fitting is transparent, allowing you to see when draining is complete. It fits six different sewer types with a gas-tight steal.
- Clear View Adapter
- Durable Material
- Compact Storage
Sewer Hose Kit with RhinoFlex Hose and Swivel Fittings
Camco’s Black RV Rhinoflex 15′ Sewer Hose Kit with Rhinoflex Hose and Swivel Fittings features a super-tough bayonet fitting with four prongs for a more secure fit.
At the dump-station end, we’ve added an easily detachable 4-in-1 translucent elbow adapter to fit 3″ slip or 3″, 3-1/2″ and 4″ threaded pipes. It’s a ready-to-use kit made with 23 mils of the most rigid hose you can buy.
It includes a bayonet and elbow storage cap. The kit compresses to 56″ for storage, and the removable 4-in-1 adapter allows you to store the hose in 4″ square bumpers.
- 15-foot Rhinoflex sewer hose
- Swivel bayonet adapter
- 4-in-1 translucent elbow
- Two storage cap
Lippert RV Sewer Hose Management System
It comes complete with a time-tested CAM lock connector that ensures a leak-proof connection to the sewer outlet. The hose is designed with its helical coil on the outside, while the inside is much smoother, preventing waste from getting trapped inside the hose.
The UV-protected hose is 5’6″ feet compressed and 20 feet extended and features technology that keeps it extended during use to the exact length required.
The permanently-connected nozzle is molded with an easy-grip handle, an integrated shut-off valve, and a transparent viewport that allows the user to see when waste has been completely evacuated.
- UV-protected hose
- Permanently-connected nozzle
- Leak-proof connection
TITAN Premium RV Sewer Hose Kit
New Thetford Titan is exactly what you need to make emptying the holding tanks more pleasant, and its premium-quality features are what RVers have come to expect from the sanitation expert.
Proprietary TPE properties provide the highest degree of puncture and abrasion resistance and help Titan excel in extreme temperatures.
Simply put, Titan is the toughest, longest-lasting, best-value sewer hose on the market.
- Rugged 15-Foot TPE Hose
- 1 Revolve 5-in-1 Sewer Adapter
- 2 Secure, Versatile End Caps
Camco Revolution 20′ Sewer Hose Kit
The Camco 20′ Revolution RV Sewer Hose Kit with Wye Connector contains everything you need for a quick, reliable hook-up. The Wye connector allows two sewer hoses with lug fittings to connect to the same dump station.
Features pre-attached fittings that rotate 360 degrees. Includes two ten ft. heavy-duty vinyl sewer hoses with pre-attached swivel lug and swivel bayonet fittings and four storage caps.
Other features include clear elbow and wire guards to protect your hands. Each 10′ section compresses to approximately 2′ for easy storage.
- Two 10′ heavy-duty vinyl RV sewer hoses
- Swivel clear bayonet elbow
- Four storage caps
How are you managing your RV toilet these days? Read everything you need to know about the best RV toilet in the market right now.